“Do I need to take a prenatal breastfeeding class before my baby is born?” Many woman will ask themselves this question at some point during their pregnancy. I’m here to tell you, from my own personal experience, and in my professional [International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC)] opinion. YES!! You will get tons of information and it will prepare you for that fourth trimester of all things breastfeeding. The following are just a few good reasons to take a breastfeeding class during your pregnancy:
1. You will not only learn about all the benefits that breastfeeding can bring to you and your baby, but also helpful tips to get breastfeeding off to the best start.
2. The class will help you know what to expect and therefore be able to help you resolve any minor problems that you might run into.
3. It’s important to learn the basics: milk supply and demand, what to expect in the first hours/days, latch, hunger cues, normal newborn behavior, different positions to breastfeed, and how to know if your baby is getting enough milk.
4. Signs that breastfeeding is going well, what to look for if things are not going well, and who to contact for help.
5. Bring the significant other as well, they will remember things that you forget and also learn about the importance of breastfeeding, encouragement, and support.
A breastfeeding class can’t prepare you for everything but it can give you the information and confidence that you need to prepare you for what’s to come. The above reasons are just a few of the many things you can learn from taking a prenatal breastfeeding class. For more information on taking a prenatal breastfeeding class, contact northcoastlactationservices.com/services.